Dogs on a 4-foot or shorter leash and regular or martingale collar. Cats with a harness and leash. No flexi-leads. For evaluation, bring cats in a carrier and wearing harness and leash. Chain or choke or shock collars will not be allowed for testing and not ever for visits, since a pet requiring those is not trained well enough for visiting.
1. “JUST IN CASE” bag (small bag, fanny pack or backpack) containing clean-up supplies in case of any “accident”, including zip-loc bags, paper towels, sanitizer/deodorizer. Have this bag of pet supplies with you every time you are anywhere with your pet. Always pick up poop (even if outside) and take it with you and dispose of at home.
2. Carry a copy of your pet’s current Rabies Vaccination Certificate (RVC) in case a facility wants to make a copy for their records.
3. Soft pet brush – kids often enjoy brushing a pet or use with physical therapy visits.
4. Extra leash (short) in case a child wants to “walk” your dog, so you can retain control with the main leash.
5. Small bowl for water for your pet – you may want to have this in your car with a thermos of water for after a visit.
6. A towel to use if your pet is ever placed in a client’s lap. It is also useful for wiping a dog’s face after drinking, or wiping spills or drool.
7. Most pets love treats, and we use only human-grade treats for our pets on visits. Bring what your pet loves. Tiny pieces are best. Treats can be used on visits, but not for the certification testing.
Wear any solid-color collared shirt. Our patches can be sewn or pinned on.
Slacks are to be knee-length or longer. Some places will not allow jeans.
Skirts are not advised.
No open-toed shoes. Rubber-soled shoes are advisable. "Tennies" are best.
ID badge - should be worn on all visits once is it received.
These items will be sent by email:
(If scanning is not possible, take a clear pic with any smart phone and email - this works fine.)
1) Application (download from this web site, print, complete, scan and email)
2) Health Form (also from this web site - completed by pet's vet)
3) Copy of car insurance (and re-send whenever updated - to be kept current with us)
4) Copy of driver's license (front) (can be sent on same page as car insurance) (kept current)
5) Rabies Vaccination Certificate (from vet who gave the rabies shot) (not invoice or history)
6) The Photo Release page - completed.
7) Separate pictures of pet and human for ID badges (we can crop, so most pix will work)
8) A dues check for $50 for the current calendar year - payable to Smiles and Fur Friends.
Pay when testing with us (or by mail for some conditions).